The Concord Cumberland Presbyterian Church is located about fourteen miles north-west of Waverly, Tennessee on the White Oak Creek. Its present elders are: D. B. Petty, C. L. Petty, Coleman Grice, and Myrtle Wilson.
There is very little information available concerning the Concord Church. The first records have been destroyed. The first session minute available was dated September 7, 1885.
It has been impossible to determine any information on the organization of the Concord church. "James R. Petty" was the first name which appeared on the membership roll. He joined the church on October 23, 1858. This has been the oldest date to be found on the Concord church. [Lucian Stockard--This information was received by the author in a personal interview on November 20, 1954.] No record has been found concerning what presbytery the church applied to for membership.
First building. The first church built at Concord was a log building. It was located about one mile east of the present building, in the forks of two local creeks. The building was torn down, but the date has not been revealed. [Lucian Stockard--This information was received by the author in a personal interview on November 20, 1954.]
Second building. The second building was built on the same location of the first. It was a two story framed building--the upper story being used by the masonic lodge. The creek to into the building several times, and it was impossible to get to the church on many occasions because of high water. [Lucian Stockard--This information was received by the author in a personal interview on November 20, 1954.]
Third building. On January 14, 1928, the Concord session voted to move the church to the hill, adjacent to school building. There were forty-six members of the congregation in favor of moving the church, and eleven against it. [Minutes of the Session of the Concord Cumberland Presbyterian Church Book II, January 14, 1928.]
The building was torn down and moved. The church was assembled just like it had stood before--all the timber being marked and numbered. The building committee was: Coleman Grice, M. M. Scholes, R. N. Grice, and Frill Jones. The third building was built east and west for the benefit of the masonic lodge; thus, the church itself did not face the road. The masonic lodge finally died out. [Lucian Stockard--This information was received by the author in a personal interview on November 20, 1954.]
Fourth building. By November 22, 1947, the Concord church was making plans to build a new church. At this time, a finance committee was appointed to collect funds for the new building. On July 31, 1948, the session appointed a building committee to get the new church started as soon as possible. Work began on the building on June 25, 1951. The building was completed on September 1, 1951. The first revival was conducted in the new building beginning the next day. The bank note was paid off on November 8, 1952, and the building was dedicated on November 30, 1952 by Rev. M. D.Stott, Sr. It was valued at four thousand dollars. Gas heat was installed in the building in the fall of 1955. [Minutes of the Session of the Concord Cumberland Presbyterian Church 1947-1955.]
On April 10, 1937, the Concord session voted to start a church cemetery at the church. The cemetery was located directly behind the church. [Minutes of the Session of the Concord Cumberland Presbyterian Church 1947-1955.]
The following ministers have served the Concord church during the corresponding years: W. M. Cooley, September, 1885; A.C. Stockard, 1890; A. M. Taylor, October, 1891; W. M. Orsbern, December, 1893; J. L. Stockard, March, 1893-1895; G.W. Guthrie, 1896, A. M. Taylor, April, 1898; B. B. Larkins, September, 1898; F. M. Osbern, December, 1898; J. A. Alison, January, 1900; B. B. Larkins, March, 1901; A. F. Eddins, 1903; A. H. Sykes, April, 1906; H. H. Binkley, December, 1907-1908; W. A. Blades, October, 1909-1910; J. B. Dillard, 1913; G. E. Danley, September, 1914-1915; H.H. Binkley, March, 1917-March 1918; R. L. Lamb, March, 1918-July, 1919; R. L. Taylor, September, 1919-March, 1924; E. M. Neighbors, March, 1925-March, 1928; C. E. Horton, March, 1918-March 1931; E. M. Neighbors, March, 1931-March, 1933; Z. N. Clinard, March 1933-September, 1933; A. W. Clinard, March, 1934-September, 1935; A. H. Sykes, March, 1935-March, 1936; G. E. Danley, September, 1936-March, 1938; Harold Renes, March, 1938-March, 1940; A. L. Thomas, May, 1940-March, 1948; M. C. Powers, March, 1948-September, 1949; Russell Bracy, September, 1949-July, 1951; Hudson London, November, 1951-March, 1952; Newsome Harvey, August, 1952-September, 1954; Eddie Garrett, October, 1954-August, 1955, and Bert Owen since September, 1955. [Minutes of the Session of the Concord Cumberland Presbyterian Church 1947-1955.]
Before Clarksville Presbytery was organized, the Concord church was a member of Charlotte Presbytery. Concord became a part of Clarksville Presbytery in 1899. [Minutes of the Synod of Tennessee of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church October 17-20, 1899, pp. 47-48.] Since that time, Clarksville Presbytery has met with the Concord congregation on the following dates: March, 1915; [Minutes of Clarksville Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church March 12-14, 1918, p. 16.] October 11, 1921; [Minutes of Clarksville Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church March 23-24, 1921, p. 18.] September, 1928; [Minutes of Clarksville Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church September, 1928, p. 1.] and March 31, 1953. [Minutes of Clarksville Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church March 31, 1953, p. 3.]
[Source: Ollie Newsome Harvey. "A History of the Existing Churches of Clarksville Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church." B.D. Thesis. Cumberland Presbyterian Theological Seminary, 1956, pages 49-53]
The Concord Cumberland Presbyterian Church was down in the valley near the present site, but was constantly troubled with water from an overflowing branch nearby. Adell Harrell Petty and her husband, Dewey Brown Petty decided to give a plot of ground for the Concord Cumberland Presbyterian Church on our property, and shortly thereafter added ground adjacent for the Concord Cemetery.