Union Presbytery

Cumberland Presbyterian Church


1839 - By an act of West Tennessee Synod in the fall of 1839, the Forked Deer Presbytery and the Hatchie Presbytery were consolidated under the name of Union Presbytery. By the appointment of Synod, this Presbytery held its first meeting in the town of Brownsville, Haywood county, Tennessee, on Saturday, the 11th of April, A.D., 1840.

1840 - Name changed to Memphis Presbytery

April 11, 1840 - Brownsville
Moderator: Rev. Reuben Burrow
Clerk: Rev. David P. Coffey
[Original manuscript minutes in archives]

October 3, 1840 - Ebenezer
Moderator: Rev. Sam Dennis
Clerk: W. Sangster
[Original manuscript minutes in archives]

Please Send Additions/Corrections to the Archives

Updated July 8, 2013