Smithville Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized, November 24, 1873 by the Reverend Jesse Hickman. Rev. Hickman was a commissioned Evangelist of Middle Tennessee Synod. On July 28, 1878, a finance committee was appointed to solicit funds to build a church, and on June 23, 1879, a committee was appointed to purchase a lot and build a church. The lot was purchased in December 1879 for $75.00. The first building was erected within a few months of the purchase of the lot. The church building was not dedicated until, March 23, 1886 by Brother H. A. Jones of Memphis.
Property adjoining the original lot was purchased in 1950. The following year a new sanctuary was built where the old building stood and a fellowship hall and Christian education wing were added to the church.
In recent years the church purchased the old Western Auto building that extended the property to the end of the city block. The building was remodeled to include church offices, Sunday school classrooms, a large kitchen, and large fellowship area to be used for receptions and showers and youth events. A gymnasium was also built at the same time. Since, 1997 we have created a weight room and added recreational equipment for our youth. A playground has been added in front of the gym and we are pleased to see a growing number of children, youth, and adults from our congregation as well as the community enjoying the use of our present facilities.
Since, 1873 the church has had many pastors, most of who were not on the field in a full time capacity. Many of the pastors who have served had tenures fewer than five years, but in 1973 Rev. E. H. Denman, Jr. was called as pastor and served the Smithville Cumberland Presbyterian Church for almost 12 years. Rev. Denmans long tenure and pastoral leadership helped the congregation grow vibrate and strong. Rev. Denman having made Smithville his home served the church again as pastor from 1987-1993.