Samuel C. Davidson

Cumberland Presbyterian Minister

1809 - 1881



REV. SAMUEL C. DAVIDSON, of La Plata, Mo., a member of the Kirksville Presbytery, died on Sabbath morning, the 6th inst, of general paralysis, after a confinement of five months. He suffered little, complained none; but was as cheerful during these months of gradual loss of power to move as when in perfect health. He was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith; and much people was added to the Lord under his ministry of something over fifty years. He has left the record of a spotless life. What a legacy to his family and the Church!

Brother Davidson was born in Anderson county, Tennessee, July 31st, 1809, and "born again" when but a few days past sixteen. To his Christian mother's instructions and prayers he owned much, in so far as human agencies led him to Christ. This he acknowledges in tender terms in his journal. As his mother had strong trust in God, so had he. Hence the great peace of mind during his long and helpless illness. Not long after he embraced the Saviour he felt it his duty to preach the gospel. His natural timidity held him back, but the spirit of the Lord urged him forward. He became a candidate for the ministry under the Knoxville Presbytery in October, 1828, and entered Forest Hill Academy, where he received the most of his literary training. He was licensed to preach by that Presbytery August, 1829, and ordained March, 1832.

Brother Davidson traveled on what was in those days called "a circuit" for over three years, preaching 650 sermons. He was united in marriage to Miss Isabella S. McClanahan, May 3rd, 1832, who with three of their children survives him. Some of their dear ones had gone before. These that are left are walking by faith in Christ, to join the sainted ones in the heavenly city.

It is a heavy stroke to his aged wife, who had for nearly forty-nine years walked with him in marital and Christian love. Yet Jesus who said to sorrowing disciples, "I will not leave you comfortless," lovingly bestows upon her his sustaining grace.

Brother Davidson moved to Cooper county, Missouri, late in 1835, and from there to Macon county early in 1845, where he died. For a number of years his throat had been so seriously diseased that much of the time he could not speak above a whisper; but in silence he honored God. Wherever he lived he gathered friends around him. These were God's ministers of help to him in his late illness. He had lived for God, not for the world; yet a sufficiency of the things of the world were kindly furnished him. He suffered for no earthly comfort, just as he joyed in the precious fulness of the Crucified One.

Though the day of his funeral was one of the stormiest of the season, the church was literally packed with sorrowing friends. He lived by faith in the Son of God. He died sweetly leaning upon the Saviour's bosom. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord."

[Source: The Cumberland Presbyterian, March 24, 1881, page 1]


Rev. Samuel C. Davidson, March 6, 1881, Kirksville Presbytery

[Source: Minutes of the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 1881, pages 20 & 70]

Contact the Archives with additions/corrections

Last Updated on April 29, 2002