Again we associate three brothers together in the ministry, each of whom has made an honorable record. Their parents, who were earnest Christians, settled in Vanderburgh county, Indiana, in 1819. Three years afterwards the father died. The opportunities for early education in a new and sparsely-settled country being very meager, the entire training of the children devolved on the widowed mother, a woman possessed of a good, well-cultured mind, and, far better, of earnest piety. Daily were he children upborne on the arms of faith and prayer to the divine throne. God honored her faith. She lived to see all her children, eight in number, five sons and three daughters, hopeful Christians, three sons entering the ministry [Rev. Ebenezer W. Hall, Rev. Benjamin Hall and Rev. Ephraim Hall] and two becoming ruling elders.
REV. EBENEZER W. HALL was born in Surrey county, England, January 7th, 1814. At the age of sixteen he accepted Christ as his Saviour, and at once a new impulse moved him to do something for the one he loved. Books bearing on religious subjects were sought and studied, and schools were attended, as opportunity offered, until he felt, "woe is me if I preach not the gospel." Presenting himself to the Indiana Presbytery and relating his convictions regarding the work, he was accepted as a candidate for the ministry.
A course of study was enjoined, which he scrupulously carried out, under the immediate direction of Rev. Hiram A. Hunter, then living in or near Princeton. After due trial he was licensed to preach, April 13th, 1839. For a year or more he labored as an evangelist, God approving his work and giving him many seals to his ministry. The Presbytery being satisfied of his fitness for the ministry, he was ordained in April, 1841. Soon after his ordination he was married to Mrs. Jane McClure, daughter of Mr. William Raper, of Knox county. Of this union three daughters and one son followed. His labors up to the time of his marriage, and for six months thereafter, were mostly confined to the lower southern counties of the state. In the spring of 1842 he was called to take charge of the churches in Knox county, made vacant by the removal of his brother, Rev. B. Hall. Here he continued to labor as a faithful herald, winning his way to the hearts of many, gathering sheaves for the heavenly garner, and where to-day he lives embalmed in the memory of many toiling heavenward. This was the principal field of his ministerial labor and trials, joys and sorrows. Here his household was built up and taken down. Here he laid to rest the companion of his youth, and here, to fill the breach made by death, he united in marriage a second time with a most estimable and pious lady, the daughter of Mr. Samuel Emerson, near Vincennes, to whom two children were born. It was the custom of this good man to do with his might what he hands found to do, either in the church or out of it. His nights shared largely with the day in his preparation for the work of the Master. He was scrupulous and punctual in all business transactions, as well as in engagements for the pulpit, by which feature alone he won many friends outside the church. He was characterized by deep humility, fervent piety, true benevolence and great energy. As a preacher he was systematic, logical, earnest, sometimes eloquent and pathetic. As a man he possessed generous impulses, was social, obliging and honorable. But his race was short. At the age of forty-three, and after a fifteen years pastorate in his last field of labor, he was smitten with typhoid fever. Death claimed him and heaven welcomed him, on Sabbath morning, at the rising of the sun, March 15th, 1857. His remains await the trump of God, in the cemetery of the Brick Presbyterian Church, in Knox county, over which his brethren have erected a creditable monument to his memory.
[Source: Cumberland Presbyterianism in Southern Indiana: Being a History of Indiana Presbytery and an Account of the Proceedings of its Fiftieth Anniversary Held at Princeton, Ind., April 13-18, 1876, Together with Various Addresses and Communications, and a Sermon on the Doctrines of the Church. Compiled and Arranged by Rev. W. J. Darby and Rev. J. E. Jenkins. Indianapolis: Printed at the Printing and Publishing House, Published by the Presbytery, 1876, pp. 59-60.]