Rev. J. E. Edwards was born in Middle Tennessee on March 7, 1845, and departed this life November 25, 1928, at the age of 83 years, 8 months and 18 days. He moved to Hickman County, Kentucky, with his father and mother at the age of 4. His parents died when he was 6 years of age and were buried in the family cemetery on the old homestead where he was reared by his elder brother, W. H. Edwards. He was the youngest of nine children. He professed faith in Christ and joined the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Bayou De Chine in early manhood. He was married to Miss Fannie Weaks, September 8, 1869, who preceded him in death June 25, 1926.
To this union were born seven children, two of whom preceded him, one dying in infancy, and Ewing in March a year ago. Those surviving are W. T. Edwards of Water Valley, Ky.; G. G. Edwards of Cairo, Ill.; Mrs. J. A. Latta and Mrs. J. B. Byrn of Tampa, Fla., and Mrs. B. M. Brizendine of Clovis, New Mexico; fifteen grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, and a host of friends. He was taken under the care of Obion Presbytery and ordained to the full work of the ministry before Mayfield Presbytery was formed, after which he spent the remaining part of his life in Mayfield Presbytery. He was looked on as being one of the ablest presbyters Mayfield Presbytery ever had. He was a sound, logical and theological preacher with deep convictions of right and wrong.
He was a gospel preacher and a price of pastors. Speaking from
personal experience and observation, he was loved by every one,
especially the children, which gave him a stronger hold on the
parents. The funeral services were conducted by the writer, assisted
by Rev. A. D. Rudolph and the Methodist pastor at Water Valley,
where the services were held. The remains are resting in Water
S. B. Rudolph.
Little Cypress, Ky.
[Source: The Cumberland Presbyterian, January 17, 1929, page 13]
Mayfield Presbytery. Rev. J. E. Edwards, retired, died in Tampa, Fla., November 25, 1928.
[Source: Minutes of the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 1929, page 114]