WITH sadness we chronicle the death
of Rev. S. Bowman, which occurred at his home in Prospect, Butler
county, Pa., Oct. 24th, 1880. Brother Bowman was fifty-four years
of age. He suffered severely for several months from epithaliomia.
On the Lord's own day, that day on which, as a faithful watchman
he had so often lifted up his voice for the Master, he called
him home. During his suffering he was patient and resigned; he
said he spent happy hours with his Saviour; he talked of his approaching
end with the most perfect composure. After he had secured homes
among friends for his children, he seemed to have taken leave
entirely of earth. Seldom do we find such evidence as he had of
his acceptance with God; without a doubt or cloud obscuring his
moral horizon his sunset in a sea of glory. As a pastor, he was
quite successful; his social qualities were more than ordinary;
he had many warm friends, and was universally respected and esteemed.
His education was good; he was devoted "in the work of the
ministry." When, from the effects of diphtheria he partially
lost the power of articulating some words, as the next best means
of doing good, he engaged in labor for the Tract Society. When
he became able, though he never fully recovered the use of his
voice, he engaged in the work of the ministry until disease disqualified
him altogether. During the early part of his ministry he organized
several congregations. During the latter part he nursed one into
life that was in a dying condition. As a Presbyter, he was faithful.
He had a methodical mind, and was prompt and energetic in the
transaction of business. He had the confidence of his brethren
to such an extent as to be chosen to represent them in the highest
judicatory of the Church. He leaves four children, one son and
three daughters, who are now without either father or mother,
after the flesh, but "one is their Father, even God."
JACKSON CENTER, PA.
[Source: The Cumberland Presbyterian, December 2, 1880, page 1]
Rev. Samuel Bowman, Allegheny Presbytery
[Source: Minutes of the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 1881, page 20]