W. W. Bell

Cumberland Presbyterian Minister

1799 -1860

BELL, W.W.--Was born in Greene county, Tenn., July 30, 1799; he professed religion and joined the church when he was quite young. And soon after he felt impressed by the Holy Ghost, that it was his duty to preach Christ to perishing sinners; he therefore made application to the Knoxville Presbytery, of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, in Tennessee, and was taken under its care. In 1830, the Presbytery licensed him as a probationer for the holy ministry. In the fall of 1834, having made ample proficiency, he was ordained by the same Presbytery. After his ordination, he spent much of his time as a missionary through a portion of Tennessee and Mississippi, and being a devoted and faithful minister, did much for his Divine Master.

Having a large family to support, and being a man of limited means, he concluded that he could do more for himself and the church by emigrating to the West; consequently, in 1855, he, with him family, removed to Jackson county, Missouri, and united with the Lexington Presbytery. He continued in Missouri for two years, and then moved to Kansas. He was here at the organization of the Kansas Presbytery, and was its oldest member. He was very punctual in attending the judicatories of the church, and never missed a meeting of the Kansas Presbytery, though at times scarcely able to be up. His longing desire was to be entirely devoted to the work of the ministry; but such were the circumstances with which he was surrounded, that he was not able to spend much of his time in the missionary field. He was compelled to labor on his farm to support his family; but his heart was in the work. He loved his church and did all he could for its success.

He spent nearly thirty years on the wall of Zion, proclaiming salvation to the people. Like Paul, he finished his work, and departed for a brighter world, where troubles cannot enter. He was, emphatically, a good man--a king neighbor, husband, father, and a faithful minister. He suffered much, but bore his sufferings with great Christian fortitude. He died, March 11, 1860, of typhoid fever, at the house of Mr. Franklin Lincoln, in Oskaloosa, Kansas, his own dwelling having been destroyed by fire, in January.

His widow and several children survive him.
[Source: The Presbyterian Historical Almanac and Annual Remembrancer of the Church, by Joseph M. Wilson , vol. 3-4, 1861-1862, page 234]

Please Contact the Archives with Additions/Corrections

Updated April 9, 2008