Gen. Henry H. Norman was born July 4, 1839. He was educated at Union Hill Academy, Rutherford county, Union University and Cumberland University at Lebanon.
He left school in 1861 to join the army of the Confederate states, and served four years, surrendering at Greensboro, N. C., May 2, 1865, as captain of artillery, on Gen. J. B. Palmer's staff. He returned home May 21, 1865, farming until he moved to Murfreesboro, January 5, 1886.
He was a member of the legislature of Tennessee, 1875-76; adjutant general of the state, 1891-92; and again a member of the legislature in 1901-02.
General Norman joined the church at Lytles Creek in 1870. He was ordained an elder in the same year, and made superintendent of the Sunday school, which office he held until he moved his membership to Murfreesboro in 1886. His relation to this church has been well rounded and fullorbed. He was a ruling elder, clerk of session, the Bible teacher in the Sunday school, and for nineteen years was superintendent of the Sunday school. His heart always beat in sympathy that was almost infinite for his church.
He was also truly interested in his denomination at large.
Many times has he represented his congregation in the presbytery
and synod. At various times did he represent his presbytery in
the General Assembly. For sixteen years he was stated clerk for
Presbytery. He was chosen moderator of the General Assembly
at its session in Marshall, Mo., 1898, the highest honor his church
could bestow. A striking coincidence is that in the year 1898
he was elected moderator of his presbytery, synod and General
Assembly. This evidences his very great popularity, also his efficiency
as a presiding officer; for he was one of the best parliamentarians.
He was a forceful speaker and could make himself heard on the
most intricate question. Being a prominent and loyal member of
his denomination at large, it is proper to say that he has been
in favor of the union recently effected between the Cumberland
Presbyterian Church and the Presbyterian Church, U. S. A. His
prayers wee not confined to his own church. This city has not
produced any one who was a better-wisher of all churches and Christian
people than he. He has always had a great heart in him for all
the preachers of this place. His relation to the kingdom of Christ
at large was varied, and many-sided, and in all of these relations
one of the most prominent characteristics was his faithfulness.
Fidelity was the heart-beat of his life, and thus he met the approbation
of his God, whom he loved. Surely the great Judge has said to
him, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant." Through
thick and thin, through summer and winter, through sickness and
health, he was always faithful. He is now "at rest"
and wears the crown of life. "Eye hath not seen, nor ear
heard; neither have entered into the heart." etc.
R. G. Newsome.
[Source: The Cumberland Presbyterian, September 20, 1906, page 371]