Sterling

Cumberland Presbyterian Church

Sterling, Logan County, Colorado

DEDICATION OF THE STERLING,
COLORADO, CHURCH.

One hundred and forty miles northeast of Denver, nestling in a beautiful, rich valley, is the little city of Sterling, the county seat of Logan County. There are about 800 souls inhabiting this thrifty, local option town. The people are very prosperous and have many reasons for being happy. Many years ago almost the entire Davis' Mills (now Michigan City) settlement of North Mississippi emigrated to Sterling. The majority of the emigrants were Cumberland Presbyterians and when they left they well-nigh took a flourishing congregation with them. In later years it fell to this writer's lot to preach to the remaining populace, and in the deserted church, for nearly one year. These thrifty Cumberland Presbyterians soon established a church of their choice in their new Colorado home. For years it has grown under the faithful efforts of such men as R. A. Williams, A. B. C. Dinwiddie, S. H. McElwain, F. E. Lawler and the present pastor, J. Wood Stone, until now there is no such church in Logan County for numerical strength and general influence in business, Christian citizenship and religion as this one. Mississippi's loss has truly proved Colorado's gain. For several years it has been evident and readily admitted that this flourishing church had outgrown its house of worship. Just two years ago Rev. J. Wood Stone assumed charge of the congregation, and at once settled it in his own mind that nothing short of a new edifice would suffice. One year ago Rev. W. G. Templeton was called here to help in a revival meeting. He sang, prayed and preached to saint and sinner, but never failed to put in a good word for the new house. His "ding-donging" seemed to precipitate the contemplated action. Plans were secured, subscriptions were solicited, workmen went to work. The house was completed a few days ago. It was expected that Rev. W. G. Templeton's faithful work in hurrying up the building should be fitly recognized in his preaching the dedicatory sermon, but serious illness in his family forbade this pleasure to him and to the congregation and pastor. In this case the writer was called on to act as substitute. The first Sabbath in November was the day set apart for the dedication. It came and brought one of those glorious Colorado days that makes everybody "feel good." A throng filled the church. The choir sang. Visiting brethren of sister denominations prayed or took other parts in the service. The sermon was preached. The pastor arose and called for financial reports from all departments of his work. The result was an exhibited expenditure of $6,300, offset by cash collections amounting to $5,400, leaving $900 to be collected before the dedication service could proceed. In a little more than a quarter of an hour over $900 was pledged and the pastor proceeded with the dedication services. At the evening service another call was made for money with which to do some additional finishing work on the house and nearly $100 was pledged. Other pledges gathered up during the day made the grand total of $1,130. The church is a charming piece of semi-Gothic architecture. The dimensions are 50x70. There are two large vestibules opening into the lecture room 12x12 feet each, and also into the main auditorium (36x50), the inclined floor of which is filled with the handsome type of pews. Behind the neat pulpit stand is a choir receptacle which accommodates a score of singers, led by a splendid Mason & Hamlin organ. To the right of the pulpit the pastor has a large but cozy sermon factory. The house is built on eight feet of solid stone masonry. A furnace is used for heating purposes. Carpets deaden the sounds of tramping worshipers, while ground and cathedral stained glass soften the strong rays of bright Colorado sunshine. All the parts and appointments of this house are indeed delightfully well offered. The pastor, and his equally pastor wife, are generally recognized as strong characters, wise workers, soul lovers and splendid leaders. The congregation is one of the very best in the denomination, with a most inviting future before it. The writer remains for a series of revival services, the beginning of which has been most flattering.
                                                              R. W. LEWIS.
Denver, Col.
[Source: The Cumberland Presbyterian, December 15, 1898, pages 758-759]


Information from the Statistical Tables
Minutes of the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church

DATE

 NAME OF CONGREGATION

 CLERK OF THE SESSION AND POST-OFFICE

PASTOR

 SYNOD

 PRESBYTERY

 TOTAL MEMBERSHIP

 1890

 Sterling

 J. M. King
Sterling, Col.

 J. G. Lange

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

95

 1891

Sterling 

E. S. Minter
Sterling, Col. 

 J. G. Lange

 Kansas

Rocky Mountain

70

 1892

Sterling

E. L. Minter
Sterling, Col.

A. B. C. Dinwiddie

 Kansas

Rocky Mountain

113

1893

Sterling 

E. L. Minter
Sterling, Col.

A. B. C. Dinwiddie

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

151

1894

Sterling

E. L. Minter
Sterling, Col.

F. E. Lawler

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

180

1895

Sterling

E. L. Minter
Sterling, Col.

F. E. Lawler

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

155

 1896

Sterling

E. L. Minter
Sterling, Col.

F. E. Lawler

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

174

1897

Sterling

E. L. Minter
Sterling, Col.

J. Wood Stone

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

220

1898

Sterling

J. C. Aiken
Sterling, Col.

J. Wood Stone

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

225

1899

Sterling

J. C. Aikin
Sterling, Col.

J. Wood Stone

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

184

1900

Sterling 

J. C. Aikin
Sterling, Col.

J. Wood Stone

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

186

 1901

Sterling

J. C. Aikin
Sterling, Col.

None

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

191

1902

Sterling

J. C. Aiken
Sterling, Colo.

Jon. Williams

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

171

1903

Sterling

H. D. Hinkley
Sterling, Colo.

Jon. Williams

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

180

1904

Sterling

H. D. Hinkley
Sterling, Colo. 

J. E. Aubrey

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

176

 1905

Sterling

H. D. Hinkley
Sterling, Colo.

J. A. Aubrey

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

201

1906

 Sterling

H. D. Hinkley
Sterling, Colo.

J. E. Aubrey

Kansas

Rocky Mountain

209

 

1907
Sterling Presbyterian Church
Sterling, Colorado
Synod of Colorado
Presbytery of Boulder
Pastor - John Edmond Aubrey
Members - 230
[Source: Minutes of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, 1907, page 510]

2001
First Presbyterian Church
130 S 4th Street
Sterling, Colorado 80751


HOME