Rockvale

Cumberland Presbyterian Church

Rockvale, Rutherford County, Tennessee


The 1865-1891 minutes of Elk Presbytery are not in our archives. Therefore, date of organization cannot be found.

1887
The work of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church began in this county in the early history of the organization. Preaching was at first held in private houses. Norman’s camp ground was a favorite place of meeting for a long time. The denomination has churches at Mount Vernon, Jackson’s Ridge, Rockvale, Lebanon, Rockspring, Fosterville, Lytle’s Creek, Mount Tabor, Lascassas and Jerusalem.
[Source: Goodspeed, Rutherford County, Tennessee, 1887.]

1890
1890 is the first year congregations were listed in the General Assembly minutes.
Name of the Congregation: Rockvale
Elk Presbytery
Clerk of the Session and Post-Office: James M. Smith, Rockvale, Tenn.
Pastor: J. C. Lamb
Total Membership: 50
[Source: Minutes of the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 1890, page 220]

1891
Name of the Congregation: Rockvale
Elk Presbytery
Clerk of the Session and Post-Office: James M. Smith, Rockvale, Tenn.
Pastor: F. Z. King
Total Membership: 40
[Source: Minutes of the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 1891, page 236]

1892
Elder Representative from Rockvale: T. N. Jackson
[Source: Minutes of the Elk Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, April 22, 1892, page 227]

1892
Name of the Congregation: Rockvale
Elk Presbytery
Clerk of the Session and Post-Office: T. N. Jackson, Rockvale, Tenn.
Pastor: F. Z. King
Total Membership: 75
[Source: Minutes of the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 1892, page 246]

1893
Name of the Congregation: Rockvale
Elk Presbytery
Clerk of the Session and Post-Office: T. N. Jackson, Rockvale, Tenn.
Pastor: J. N. Holt
Total Membership: 71
[Source: Minutes of the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 1893, page 248]


ROCKVALE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

Highway 99, Rockvale, Tennessee 37153

In the early 1880's following a brush-arbor meeting, a community church was organized one mile to the west on Snail Shell Cave Road. In about five years it was reorganized as a Cumberland Presbyterian church, and a building was erected on a site given by Frank Carlton. The first elders were Jim Shed, Bob Whitus. T. N. Jackson, Minos Carlton, and Wick Holden. Many faithful and dedicated elders have followed them, the 1980 session being: Herman Clark, Alfred P.Elmore, William Farris, Wayne Lannom, Clarence Smith, and Thomas Steagall.

The first regular pastor (1899) was the Rev. Mead Hendrix of Lewisburg, and the pastor in 1980 was D. P. McGeachy, III, who came to the church in 1976. Church school rooms were added in 1937, and a manse was built in 1956. It was first occupied by the Rev. and Mrs. Don Clark. A well-equipped kitchen was added in 1960. In 1962 the interior of the church was remodeled under the direction of Rev. Joe Farmer. In 1976 additional land was acquired for future expansion making a total of about eleven acres. A picnic shelter, not unlike the old brush-arbor, was built in the woods, and is used by the active youth fellowship, which, in 1980, was directed by Ronnie and Theresa Hill. Rest rooms and large class room were added in 1979.

A Ladies Aid Society was organized in 1920. From this the Women's Missionary Society was organized with Mrs. Addie Hale being the first president. The C.P.W. president in 1980 was Mrs. Walter Leathers. Rockvale Church has an active and growing congregation with good attendance. The clerk of the session in 1980 was Wayne Lannom, and the treasurer, Mrs. Bess Williams. Homecoming is held every August on the fourth Sunday.
[Source: A New Presbytery is Born: A Brief History of the Cumberland Presbyterian Churches of Murfreesboro Presbytery. Compiled by Charles and Eleanor Murray. c1980, pages 70-71]


Updated October 30, 2009

Please Send Additions/Corrections to the Archives

HOME