Medina Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Cumberland & King Sts.
c/o 509 Cumberland Street
Medina, TN 38355
On September 9, 1883, a group of forty devout Cumberland Presbyterians banded together to form a new congregation
the Medina Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The Reverend J.D. Lewis, pastor of Mount Moriah Church, met with Medina
as the organizing pastor; and that day A.M. House, C.A. Hudson, and C.M. Merwin were elected Elders with S.T. Barnett
being elected Deacon. About a month later, the Session employed Rev. Lewis to the pulpit once a month (at night) until more
permanent arrangements could be made. Meeting at first in a small frame building, the ambitious congregation soon began
making plans for building a house of worship. In June, 1884, a one acre lot was purchased and a frame church was erected
and dedicated to the Lord on the first Sunday in December, 1885. In 1923, the congregation discussed a new church building.
However, it was decided to remodel and brick the original building. Through the years other remodeling has been done and
additions have been added as needed.