Gurley Cumberland Presbyterian Church

Gurley, Madison County, Alabama

1892 - present

Robert Donnell Presbytery
Synod of Southeast

Gurley Cumberland Presbyterian Church
223 Section Line Street
Gurley, Alabama 35748

From its earliest beginnings as one of the three original churches established in Gurley in 1892, the Presbyterian church as played an integral role in the religious and educational development of the community. The original church site was on Church Street where the Doug Hereford home now stands.

During the early 1900's, as the Presbyterian reformation occurred across the country, members of the Gurley denomination were also discussing church government. Growing dissatisfaction, seemingly irreconcilable differences with the Presbyterian USA faction, and an injunction barring Cumberland Presbyterians from holding services in their present church site led to the decision to erect a new building.

The present building was built in 1912 on the "garden spot" property donated by Postmaster Cobb under the guidance of building committee members A. E. Smith, Henry Smith, J. D. Champion, and Dr. Graham. The church was dedicated May 4, 1919.

The Gurley Cumberland Presbyterian congregation in conjunction with the Robert Donnell Presbytery was instrumental in donating/deeding land to the State for the Madison County High School and in donating the land and building which facilitated establishment of a female college in Gurley.

We are all proud of the significant contributions made by the Gurley Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and take great pride in the outstanding leadership it has exhibited and in the beautiful example of architecture it represents.


Ministers of Gurley Cumberland Presbyterian Church

 R. D. Shook


L. B. Morgan

1906 - 1922

N. R. French

1922 - 1927

J. A. Rodgers

1934 - 1937

E. E. Smith

1937 - 1942

J. A. Rodgers

1942 - 1954

Ernest Bender

1954 - 1959

G. A. Hester

1959 - 1961

Gene Hatcher

1961 - 1965

J. B. Burns

1965 - 1970

David Brown

1970 - 1975

Ed Herrin

1975 - 1977

N. V. Ragsdale

1977 - 1979

Ronald H. Bynum

1979 - 1983

John David Hall

1983 - 1984

Ronald H. Bynum

1984 -

On November 4, 1987, the Gurley Cumberland Presbyterian Church was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.