The Cumberland Presbyterians effected an organization in Stewart County in about 1812 or 1814 yet churches were not built until a later day. Probably the first meetings of any congregations of this denomination in the county were held at the residence of William Cherry which stood one mile south of Dover, some time during the above years. For several years the meetings of this church were held at camp grounds, of which they had three, they being situated on Wells and Lick Creeks and at Duck Springs. The first Cumberland Presbyterian Church was erected about 1816 or 1818, and stood near the Kentucky line. At about the same time a log church was erected on Cane Creek, where also stood a camp ground, and a congregation also met in the Methodist Church on Bear Creek. The early ministers of this denomination were William Barnett, William Hutchinson, and Huston Bone. There are but three Cumberland Presbyterian Churches in the county, they being the Bethel Church, on Elk Creek; Liberty Church, three miles west of Dover, and Mount Zion Church, in the Ninth District.
[Source: The Goodspeed Histories of Montgomery, Robertson, Humphreys, Stewart, Dickson, Cheatham, Houston Counties of Tennessee, Reprinted from Goodspeed's Hisstory of Tennessee, originally published 1886, Columbia, Tennessee: Woodward & Stinson Printing Co., 1972]
This congregation is not in the 1890 listing of congregations of Charlotte Presbytery.